Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Volunteering

Two days ago I was on call for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, and I got a call. Often times when a volunteer is on call, he/she doesn't get a call, but every so often we do. People sometimes say to me, "I don't know how you can do that... I would just cry the whole time." The truth is, sometimes I do cry later. During the actual session though, my main focus is to help the parents enjoy the photo session with their baby, and my goal is to get photos that they will love-- which is not difficult, because these are photos of their baby who will not make it, or has already passed... and these are the only photos they may ever have of their beautiful little one. Yes-- it is terribly sad, and it does effect me... but I really am in professional mode when photographing. It comes very natural for me, and because I CAN do it, I believe I SHOULD do it.
If you are interested in finding out more about the organization-- whether it be for support for a child you have lost, or to volunteer, please go to their website here:
http://nowilaymedowntosleep.com


I also volunteered today for 4H. Actually, I can't say that I volunteered, really-- they paid me, AND gave me lunch. I judged the Photography Enhancement and the Video entries of 4th through "13th" graders. It was a good learning experience for me. I loved talking to the kids and young people about their work. I was so impressed with some of them and what they knew. It's interesting, because there is always something new to learn about photography enhancement, and there is always new art to be created. I really enjoyed looking at some of the art that these individuals created.

During part of the judging, around 4:15, there was a HUGE storm that rolled through. A huge chunk of the people at the country fair piled into the 4H building to hide from the ridiculous down pour.
Here is part of the 4H building during the storm:
Photobucket

And here is the deserted street during the storm (You can't really see how hard the rain was really coming down... but on the tin roof of the 4H building it sounded like it was coming down 10x's as hard!)
Photobucket
(Pics taken with my camera phone, obviously;))

After the storm passed, I was able to have my dinner break, and I got a super yummy gyro.... and then of course I saw the Cheese Curds stand. MMM! So of couse I had to have some of those. And no, I did not, and could not, finish them. For those of you who do not know what Minnesota fair cheese curds are... it's fried cheese... full of hot grease and goodness. Nothin' like them. There are different kinds of cheese curds in Minnesota, but the ones at the Anoka County Fair and the State Fair are the best.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow, what a very special thing that you do, what a beautiful service, it must be an honor to have people trust you so much in their darkest times...More power to you, as I think it would take someone just that little bit different to the rest us of.

Tanya said...

Ok, I just had a look at the NILMDTS link....those photos had me in tears....wonder if there is anything like that in Australia?

Ginger Murray said...

There may be something in Australia-- definitely look into it!
(Apologies for the late reply-- when I set up this blog, I used my old email acct, which doesn't work anymore, so I'm not notified when receive a reply!)