Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Good music for editing! (And a bit of music babble:))

I really enjoy listening to good music while I'm editing (as opposed to listening to bad music?). I like a REALLY wide variety of music, but for the most part, I like alternative or indie music while editing. Something that inspires, has emotion, and keeps my focused. For some interesting reason, the rhythms and sounds of this type of music keeps me more focused than other types of music. Maybe because it has a more predictable sound than say, some classical music(it gets loud, and then soft, and is sometimes inconsistent-- and I'm always trying to listen to the cello part, since that's what I play!). Also, with country music, you need to listen to the words-- there is not usually any musically complex about country music. With alternative, I don't have to listen to the lyrics to feel the emotion. Hmm.

Today I was listening to Dishwalla. Most of you probably know one of their songs, "Counting Blue Cars." (The title probably doesn't ring a bell. Go to their Myspace page HERE, scroll down and click on that song. You'll likely know it. Not their best song, IMO, but their most popular.)"Candleburn" never disappoints to create emotion. To listen to bits of the other tracks, click HERE and scroll down.
Photobucket They came out with their CD Opaline in 2002, and it is a fantastic album, yet so unpublicized. I saw them at a big block party that year, and fell in LOVE with JR's voice. He absolutely has a gift.

I don't have time to watch TV much, so I watch my favorite performers of American Idol on YouTube after they perform. I've always thought David Cook should sing a Dishwalla song... he has that type of memorizing voice, and if he sang the high notes that JR(lead singer of Dishwalla) sings, the audience would melt.

Anywho, so I thought today, "Whatever happened to Dishwalla??" I couldn't really find anything from doing a quick google search, and I felt really sad-- because I thought it would be such a waste of talent if JR didn't sing anymore and Dishwalla never went on tour anymore? While I only go to a concert or so a year (not including orchestra concerts) I actually felt really sad about that thought that I would never hear them again. I had such an emotional connection with their music. Well, I looked on their Myspace page and it said JR is coming out with a solo album in May. I'm extremely exited. HERE is his page. "Winter Sun" is a good song. "Angels or Devils" was on Opaline, but it seems he varied it from the original. Love it either way. Can't wait to see what else is on the album.


So maybe there's hope to seeing JR in concert again? Here's a video someone posted on YouTube. Bad sound quality, but shows
that he ROCKS. (You know how sometimes you see a concert, and the singer can't sing in tune? This is NOT the case with JR from my experience.)

Another:


Alright, done with the babble. Just a bit passionate:) These guys never got the publicity they deserved.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I knew there was a reason why we're friends! I'd agree with you on all fronts - the music selection is vital for productivity/creativity for me as well.

Also, Dishwalla = awesome. Although my tastes have changed significantly and I've distanced myself from much of the music that I listened to in high school, they're one of the bands that I always come back to on iTunes and remember how much I like them. Nice work, pal! Blog friendz 4 life!

Steven Kang said...

HI Ginger,
How are you?
nice advice for lightroom.
How was wppi?

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

great music ginger!!!