Wednesday, May 20, 2009

HOT HOT HOT! Tornado season is upon us.

It is currently 91 Degrees in my city!

In May, in Minnesota? Unheard of! I heard that Minneapolis (about 35 miles from where I am) broke a heat record today by a degree. (92 or 93 I think?) Insane!

Thank goodness for the wind gusts(which are "up to 40 mph!") -- I can't imagine how hot it would be otherwise!
Although, the wind is still coming through the office window cracks and making this irritating whistling noise. Grr!

Aaron and I had the windows open earlier today until we realized, "Wait a minute... it's 90 degrees outside!? That's why it's so flippin hot in our house!" We thought we were just being babies who weren't used to the seasonal heat yet, ha! He is working from home today down at our kitchen table, and when we had the South windows open, a wind gust came and pushed the screen right off the window! Seriously? Haha!

I love knowing what's going on with weather. As I've probably said before, I really like learning about storms, and the jet stream, and all of that stuff. I will be the one outside with my camera when there is a storm rolling in. However... HOWEVER... I am scared of tornadoes to the extent of that I believe they should be respected, along with severe weather. If those tornado sirens go off, I am in the basement in a half second. The thing with severe weather sirens, is that you don't know if a tornado is "possible" or if it just surprised everyone and came out of the sky ("WHOA! We better sound the sirens!"), or if one is already on the ground. Last year, on May 25th, a tornado landed in my city, and another landed in a city(Hugo) about 20 miles from my house, too. That tornado in Hugo surprised everyone, and people had to scramble to their basements. It ripped out a whole street-- some houses were ripped completely off their foundations (exposing the basement). Seventeen people sought medical attention, and a little boy died too, which is so tragic. They said the sirens had JUST went off when they looked down the street and there was the tornado. That's the thing... just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it hasn't already landed behind your house.

Click HERE to see the Hugo tornado (you can hardly see it, but it's there).


And, here is the devastation from a bird's eye view:
http://www.swiftweather.com/relief/hugo.jpg
http://www.foxnews.com/images/372624/6_67_052508_tornado_minn.jpg

Oh, and to help you remember what a tornado actually looks like and why you should not be friends with one,
here is a photo of an Iowa tornado, taken from WAY TOO CLOSE!!!!!!!
Photobucket
(I did not take this photo, and not sure who to give credit for it, but to the dude who took it... get your butt inside next time!!)

And so, I just want to remind all of my fellow Minnesotans, and, those in tornado country, to be aware of the weather, and respect severe weather! Here's the thing... tornadoes and severe weather don't give a care about your life. They don't have any feelings at all, contrary to popular belief. So don't be idiots, and take care of yourselves;)

3 comments:

|| davidjay || said...

That picture is gnarly! Be careful - tornados are scary!

Gilbertson Family said...

Storms are the best part about the Midwest. If only we got the storms that Nebraska and Oklahoma get. That would be great.

Unknown said...

I just happened to be looking at tornado images. I saw this one on the previous page and then read your comment about not knowing who took the photo.
http://www.trevordubbert.com/supportchange/2008/06/twisters-pa.html