Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Please pray for the MN families and victims...

My parents and I were on our way to the Twins game in Minneapolis. We were just over a mile from the bridge where you exit to the Metrodome. Traffic was backed up because of construction, and we heard police cars, and we thought, Hmm. Must be an accident. But as they raced by, they had their megaphones on and all we heard was, "...down!" We thought something must be going on, so we turned on the radio only to hear these awful chilling words,
"We have just received reports that a few minutes ago, the Mississippi River bridge, near Washington St., has collapsed, and there are cars in the river at this time."

My heart stopped. Aaron was coming from St. Paul, and I thought that he was going to be crossing that bridge. I fumbled for my cell phone and started shaking, and when he answered, I started bawling. I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life. He was a mile from the bridge too... but he didn't need to cross it to get to the Dome. I could hear sirens in the background on the phone and he said, "WHAT? The BRIDGE is down??" We were a mile from crossing that bridge.

There were probably 7 other cars that must have turned on the news at that time too. They drove over the grass median and got on the other direction of 35W. We had no other choice but to do the same.
I could not stop crying.
I'm still trying to process it all.

All day, I hadn't done one good amount of work from home, and I couldn't
figure out why. I drank caffeine to help me focus, and I just couldn't
at all! I was so mad at myself! My mom showed up at my place at 5:10pm,
which I hadn't expected... I thought they weren't getting there till 5:30 to
pick me up for the game. Apologizing, I told her I had to jump in the shower still.
I also had to iron my shirt. Things I should have done earlier today, and normally would have already done. I also had to run downstairs and make sure the iron was off, one last time, even though I knew it was. It only threw our evening schedule off by 10-15 minutes, and we still had plenty of time to get to the game.

Had I stuck to the normal day routine of showering in the AM, focused all day on work, and then was ready to go when my parents got there, that 10-15 minutes would have put us right next to or on the bridge. We would have seen it or been a part of it. I know I can't be selfish now... so I'm trying not to think, "Why not me??" I know I'm not the only person wondering this tonight.

I need to turn this question into praise to God, and prayers for the victims and the families. There are still people trapped under the rubble...

I drive over this bridge to work many days.
It could have been any of us who do. At any time.
It will be months before they know why it happened, and it will take forever before they rebuild that bridge.. a major vessel into the city. It was a huge, wide bridge. 65 feet about the water. There was a school bus of 60 children that went down. Can you IMAGINE being a parent???

This man's fiance received a phone call from a friend who was on the bridge:
http://www.kare11.com/video/player.aspx?aid=51335&sid=261140&bw=

"Seconds made a difference tonight."

In regards to the bus being at such a safe position, my mom said, "I think angels were pushing up that bridge so that it didn't tip."

The Star Tribune online(our local newspaper)headline says:
"7 dead, 35 injured, 20 missing after dozens of vehicles plummet into river."

Here are photos:
http://www.startribune.com/10136/gallery/1338445.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please pray for the victims and families of the bridge tragedy... What a scary thing to happen. I keep picturing it, happening before my eyes... And that's what it could have been... I will be doing some re-examining of my purpose in life... and I might need to drink a 2nd cup of Sleepytime tea before bed for awhile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

AG said...

Yesterday was so strange. The feelings, just not knowing how to feel. We had just gotten here (Madison) when we got a phone call from my aunt in Ohio wanting to know if we were alright. It's just so strange. I still don't know how to feel about what has happened. I feel disconnected, like should be grieving with the rest of the state that I no longer live in. It's difficult to say that I am glad that everyone I know is safe. For many people that isn't the case. Still don't know how to feel.

Unknown said...

I can believe that happened. I feel so sad for the families involved. I am also glad you are safe.

I know that God has a hand in our lives much more than we realize. You were not meant to be on that bridge that day. You were spared. If that does not increase a person's faith I don't know what will.

Olivia said...

I'm so glad you're okay! That is such a scary thing to realize how close you were and it's amazing to realize that feeling you had... your guardian angel was definitely watching over you!

Steven Kang said...

Hey Kiddo,
I'm glad you and your family are ok. I think all of us(your photog friends) would of had much harder time if you and your family were in middle of these terrible situation. When I heard about this last night, my youth group i minister to lift up prayers for those people that was involved in the tragedy. As for you Ginger, it wasn't your time and God watched and protected you. You have purpose and you don't have to look for that purpose. When it's time God will show it to you. Mean time you praise God and live victorious life in Jesus Crist. Don't worry or think about "why not me?" It is not our job to figure out, but for us to live and glorify God's name. I'll continue to pray for those that are involved, but I'll pray for you the most. God blessed you and your family Ginger, now go and be blessing to others.
You are sweet and kind person Ginger.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;
18 in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Again, I'm so glad you and your family are ok.

The City Girl said...

That is so gnarly! I am so glad The Lord totally spared you from that accident! I will totally be in prayer about this-glad you're okay!

abcdef said...

Ginger,

Thank goodness you and your family are ok. I had heard about this on the news, as we all did, but I get so wrapped up in my own busy life that I forget things like this could be effecting my extended photography family.

I know you that has to be a terrible feeling, and one that you won't forget for a long time to come. God was watching over you and your husband. It really makes you appreciate life more. Because you never know when our time is up. Again, thank GOD that you & your loved ones are ok.

With Love,
Crystal

Melissa Koehler said...

Oh my goodness!
I am happy to hear that you and your family are ok. What a horrible tragedy!
You will be in my prayers!